Friday, June 12, 2020

The Unpolished Part of Life

Philippians 4:12
King James Version
12 I know both how to be abased, 
and I know how to abound: 
every where and in all things 
I am instructed both to be full 
and to be hungry, 
both to abound and to suffer need.


The place was cramped.

The models were in a frenzy, rushing, changing clothes, fixing their looks, bickering, fussing, tense.

But onstage, they were polished.

You would not have detected all the mild chaos in the back room, where I had been in the thick of it.

When I saw them featured on tv, the more I was amused, for these models were true professionals, modeling our stuff with ease, and aplomb.

The reluctant designer -- moi -- not hot about fashion shows and diva models, was dragged into joining the fashion show at a Hard Rock Cafe in the big city.

This was the period I was done with my shops, and was thinking of quitting.

But, as is my quirky career, fate took hold of the reins, for I was often reluctant this, reluctant that, but when faced with having to do the work people thought I could do, well, I found myself succeeding, and that's really very strange.

Backstage is where all the real stuff happens -- the unvarnished, raw truth.

And I don't mean only fashion shows, but the work all of us do.

In shops and malls, on tv and magazines, it's all glitzy.

The products are polished, perfect, and packaged.

We don't really see the labor put out by people each day, so we may consume what we wish to consume, or afford to consume. 

We assistants, factory workers, designers, owners, and entrepreneurs, would also be working till late at night or up to early morning, making sure everything's in place.

The world also doesn't see the life each one of us lead, but only the work we put out.

That's the backstage I speak of.

And that's where most of my true writing comes from -- observing all the details that don't interest others.

There's no drama, just real, hard work behind the scenes of most anything we create.

You'd know, for you, too, put out the work you do.

As you can imagine, I have no interest in designer divas, or temperamental models, or slick ads, or expensive shops.

I prefer being with everyday workers like myself, and really feel the pulse of the people.

That's where the real stuff is.

It is rich with people's lives, strength, wisdom, and character.

Not to mention the everyday sacrifices few people see, or care about.

The kind the rich and famous don't wish to be bothered with.

Because if they cared, we'd all be up there on stage with them, too.

Thing is, I never liked the stage.

I could never "act".

Plus, I've got stage fright.



Updated 24 January 2022