Thursday, October 29, 2020

Why Designing Homes Never Really Interested Me

 

2 Timothy 2:20-21 

King James Version

20 But in a great house 

there are not only vessels of gold 

and of silver, 

but also of wood and of earth; 

and some to honour, 

and some to dishonour.

21 If a man therefore purge himself 

from these, 

he shall be a vessel unto honour, 

sanctified, 

and meet for the master's use, 

and prepared unto every good work.


I really stood out like a sore thumb among my peers.

Apart from myself, there was another older architecture student, who didn't follow the popular route of becoming a full-fledged architect.

Perhaps, we are both failures in their eyes.

I can almost feel them cringe when my friend and I are around.

And I smile at the pedestal they've built for themselves.

I used to read a lot of design and architecture magazines.

Such choices for floorings, counters, roofs, walls, carpets, tables, chairs, beds, upholstery, entertainment areas, kitchens, and everything else the vain and moneyed heart wished.

All slick, expensive, and made my heart feel empty.

And I'm so glad I was that sore thumb that didn't quite fit in any tongue-and-groove layout, for I was cut differently -- from day one.

If anything, I was more like an old, irregular wooden plank that fit among other wider, older planks.

I had a humble father on earth to teach me.

He was into real service, as opposed to wealth accumulation.

And surely, God -- my REAL FATHER -- created me differently, too!

Where people built monuments to money, fame, power, prestige, beauty, intelligence, I can only laugh in delight at that image above, of a child's play house.

Nothing slick, and shiny, about it.

But definitely fun!

Oh, if only people built more child-like homes!

There's be more imagination, and creativity.

No desire to impress, nor oppress.

Has to be indestructible, and low-maintenance.

Children don't have time to clean up.

They have more important things on their mind.

They play.

They eat.

They run.

They sleep.

They create.

And yes, they fight, too.

So, that house has to stand all that.

Large houses feel like mausoleums.

Actually, if GOD is in every house, it will come alive.

I honestly believe God lives in kid's play houses.

I think He finds it more fun there.

JESUS did say:

Matthew 18:2-5 

King James Version

2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, 

and set him in the midst of them,

3 And said, 

Verily I say unto you, 

Except ye be converted, 

and become as little children, 

ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself 

as this little child, 

the same is greatest 

in the kingdom of heaven.

5 And whoso shall receive 

one such little child in my name 

receiveth me.


Now you know why slick houses, or designing for rich people, don't interest me at all.

It's all vanity.

Anyway, God gave me a different work to do.

It's more precise than architecture.

Oh, and one last thing:

Jesus was born in a manger.

Luke 2:7 

King James Version

7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, 

and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, 

and laid him in a manger; 

because there was no room for them in the inn.


You know what a "manger" is?

Merriam-Webster says it's:

: a trough (see TROUGH sense 1a) or open box in a stable designed to hold feed or fodder for livestock

The LORD Jesus, the SAVIOR of the world, the MESSIAH, had the humblest "bed" no rich folk would ever want to put their kids in.

A house was out of the question.

And yet He was KING, and LORD, of all.

Revelation 19:16 

King James Version

16 And he hath on his vesture 

and on his thigh a name written, 

King Of Kings, 

And Lord Of Lords.


And you know what else I know?

If those kids, in that tiny play house, saw baby JESUS, they'd make sure He had a cool place in there.

Maybe the LORD will be inside that tiny play house, with the kids standing outside, sticking their necks through the windows, making sure He's okay.

There might even be a fight of sorts.

Of who gets to carry Him first!

And yes, JESUS will get ALL the teddy bears.


Updated 30 July 2022